With all the media channels available, the choices can be confusing for nonprofits. What is the most effective channel for soliciting donations? According to a new study by YouGov, it’s direct mail. The survey of more than 1,150 U.S adults, found the following:
- One-fifth (21%) of respondents cited direct mail solicitations as the prompt for their most recent gift. This is higher than for any other channel.
- Donors over the age of 55 are most likely to respond to direct mail. One-quarter (25%) in this age bracket made their last gift in response to a mailing. Among 18-34 year olds, this drops to 14%.
- Lower income households are among the most motivated by direct mail. Nearly one-third (29%) of those earning $40,000 per year or less responded to direct mail for their last donation. Among donors earning $80,000+ per year, this drops to 18%.
- Only 12% of donors report being prompted to make their last gift by something they heard about on the radio, on TV, or in print.
- Even fewer (10%) were prompted by email.
- Very few donors (6%) were prompted by social media, such as Facebook or Twitter, although this is stronger among 18—34 year olds (11%).
Want to keep your donations flowing in? Use print!